This recipe is very versatile. You can eat them as a snack, as is, dipping into the Chiptole Lime sauce. Or you can use them in place of meat in a taco shell, using the Chipotle Lime sauce in place of sour cream.
Or, you can roll the tots in Italian breadcrubs and parmesan and sub out the cilantro for parsly and make a tomato sauce for dipping or drizzling to make it more of a crunchy Italian version.
Make it Moroccan or Asian just by changing up the spices you use and the dipping sauce. These tots are much healthier than tater tots and the kids will love them and you won’t have to worry they are over-eating! Let them decide what flavors to use. They will go fast, a double batch is a necessity around here!
- One head cauliflower, steam until pliable, not mushy (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion, sauteed
- 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese (use vegan cheese for an option)
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon of cilantro
- 1 teaspoon of fresh garlic
- 1 egg (use a flax or chia egg replacer for vegan option)
- coconut or grapeseed oil spray
- Make sure you properly drain your cauliflower, the best way to do this is to wrap your cauliflower in a cheese cloth and squeeze it out. I like to place the cauliflower in the center, then gather the ends and continually twist the ends till very little liquid comes out. Note: if you use frozen “riced” cauliflower, be careful not to overcook it.
- Once you finish removing most of the liquid from the cauliflower and remove the cauliflower from the cheese cloth and set it aside in a bowl.
- Lightly spray the center of your non-stick pan.
- Heat up the non-stick pan over medium heat and lightly sauté the chopped onions.
- When the onions are clear, turn off the flame and remove the heat.
- Let the onions cool down before we start the tot mixture.
- Once the onions cool, mix into the cauliflower and add, cheese, nutritional yeast, sea salt, garlic, cilantro, cumin, cajun spice and egg
- Once all the ingredients are mixed well together, use a tablespoon to measure tot amount.
- Bake in oven at 400F, till golden brown (approximately 10min) turn at 5 minutes to brown on all sides.
- Once it its golden brown, remove from (and turn off) the oven and let it cool before serving.
- One cup cashews, soaked four hours, drained
- 1 tsp fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp chipotle
- dash of cheyenne (optional
- 1 fresh lime and the zest
- sea salt to taste
- Put all ingredients in a food processor or high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy
- Taste-test for the flavor profile you prefer
- Add more spice, lime juice or salt as needed
- Serve with tots as a dip or drizzle on tots on top of your tacos
- However you choose to eat these, I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!